Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Bees in my wall

On 2006-10-21, Andy <q> wrote:

> I had yellow jackets that hived underground by the front steps. I know
> the county animal control guys and they said I couldn't gas and burn them
> out because they were protected. I forget how I got rid of them.

I think the county control guys are full of it. Here's a page of CA's
protected insects.

http://essig.berkeley.edu/endins/hymenop.htm

Note the Antioch Mutillid Wasp. But, it's so rare I couldn't even
find a picture of it.

The most common burrowing yellow jacket in CA is so ridiculously
comman, they're a freakin' menace and you can kill them by the
millions with no legal repercussions or even making a dent. The
coastal ranges, like around Mt Diablo, are lousy with them and the
best you can do is outsmart 'em. I went camping once out Mines Rd
down by Mt Hamilton and there were so many we couldn't eat our meal.
There'd be 2 of them on your spoon before it reached your mouth. We
finally figured out they loved fresh fruit above all else, despite the
local term of "meat bees". So, we set out a plate of fresh fruit salad
about 40-50 feet away as a decoy. They swarmed that stuff like locust
and, except for the occasional retard, they left us alone to eat in
peace.

nb