Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Sweet potato vs white potato

wrote:
> I often make mashed potatoes using all Irish potatoes, but throw in
> one Yam, to add a pretty color. And it adds a nice flavor.
>
> I also like to mix in grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, sour
> cream, fennel, and caraway seed. They're especially nice with Roast
> Beast;-)
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Harvest Mashed Potatoes
(from my friend Sharon)

Note: I've tweaked the directions since I understood perfectly what she
meant in her instructions but not everyone might

4 large russet potatoes (2 pounds)
2 medium-size sweet potatoes (1½ pounds)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 T. prepared horseradish
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. ground cinnamon

Bake peeled sweet potatoes until tender; mash. Cook russet potatoes (cut
large ones in half or quarters) in a Dutch oven in boiling salted water to
cover until tender; peel and mash or press through ricer and combine with
sweet potatoes. Add 1/2 cup butter and next 8 ingredients; mash with a hand
held, non-electric, potato masher until mixture is smooth. Spoon into a
casserole dish and bake at 275F about 15 minutes until heated through and
starting to lightly brown on top. Serve topped with additional Parmesan
cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.

Jill