Posted to alt.food.wine
Bryan[_2_] Bryan[_2_] is offline

Default Experiment Proposal

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Bryan wrote:
>
>> I guess that the null hypothesis will be that there is no difference.
>> I'll
>> give it a try. I'm not sure that you believe that my palate is
>> discerning
>> enough to notice minor differences or that there will be such a big
>> difference that even my palate can see the light. Either way, I get to
>> drink some wine in the name of science. My contribution to humanity!

> Bryan,
> I also think that it's a worthwhile experiment given the discussion
> that's occurred today re the role of temperature in oxidation. In the
> interests of science, I can conceive of two different experiments. In
> one, you simply uncork, leave open for some amount of time, recork and
> store before tasting. In the second, you remove some amount from each
> bottle before recorking and storing. This would help resolve the
> question of how much air exposure is needed before oxidation becomes a
> problem.
>
> Mark Lipton

There was an experiment performed some time ago and published, I think, in a
scientific journal. They were looking at the idea of letting wine breathe.
A bottle, uncorked, was compared with a glass of wine. The chemical
analysis demonstrated insignificant change in the uncorked bottle, but the
gas content of the glass of wine did change. Conclusion, wine in an open
bottle does not breathe while wine in a glass does. I wish I could find
that study; it was a fun article.