Posted to alt.food.wine
Bryan[_2_] Bryan[_2_] is offline

Default Experiment Proposal

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> "Bryan" > wrote in
> et:
>
>> I'm proposing an experiment for this group. I would do it myself, but
>> I haven't developed a discerning palate yet.
>>
>> How about a couple of you choose a couple of identical wines. Open
>> each bottle. Taste each to ascertain equality. Decant half of each
>> bottle for immediate consumption. Recork each bottle and put one the
>> refrigerator for 3 to 5 days and leave one at room temperature for 3
>> to 5 days. Remove the refrigerated bottle and leave it next to the
>> room temp bottle until it has truly achieved room temp. Reopen each
>> bottle and taste again to ascertain equality or inequality. Report
>> results to AFW. I'd really like to see your results. I'll do it, but
>> I'm not sure you'll want to trust my palate.
>>

> What do you hope to prove? that warm temperatures and access to air will
> degrade wine faster? that chilled wine with access to air deteriorates
> more slowly? do you suspect that nothing happens. It is the common
> wisdom that the cooled wine will hold up longer. Your palate, I am sure
> will note the difference. go ahead try it.
>
> --
> Joseph Coulter
> Cruises and Vacations
> http://www.josephcoulter.com/

I guess that the null hypothesis will be that there is no difference. I'll
give it a try. I'm not sure that you believe that my palate is discerning
enough to notice minor differences or that there will be such a big
difference that even my palate can see the light. Either way, I get to
drink some wine in the name of science. My contribution to humanity!