Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Your favorite cornbread recipe?

On 16 Oct 2006 04:02:16 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...
>
>> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:29:14 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>>
>>>Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
>>>it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
>>>special cornbread recipe?
>>>
>>>TammyM

>> Here is mine.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Corn Bread
>>
>> Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
>> Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Breads
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 2 eggs
>> 2 cups buttermilk
>> 1 teaspoon baking soda
>> 2 cups corn meal
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>
>> Heat oven to 450° F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
>> pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.
>>
>> Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just until
>> smooth.
>>
>> Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes for
>> corn bread.
>>

>> Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960

>Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it in a
>preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.
>
>I also use stone-ground cornmeal.

I have been using a combination of a white corn meal and a yellow
coarse ground meal (polenta type.) I also use a preheated cast iron
skillet with a little bacon grease melted in it an poured into the
mix.

The white corn meal comes from an old mill about 10 miles from me. I
managed to get the meal before they made it self rising.
--
Susan N.