Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Your favorite cornbread recipe?

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 08:05:26p, Mr Libido Incognito meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 15 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...

>> > Here is mine.
>> >

>> > * Exported from MasterCook *
>> >
>> > Corn Bread
>> >
>> > Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
>> > Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
>> > Categories : Breads
>> >
>> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> > 2 eggs
>> > 2 cups buttermilk
>> > 1 teaspoon baking soda
>> > 2 cups corn meal
>> > 1 teaspoon salt
>> >
>> > Heat oven to 450° F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
>> > pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.
>> >
>> > Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just
>> > until smooth.
>> >
>> > Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes
>> > for corn bread.
>> >

>> > Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960

>> Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it
>> in a preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.
>>
>> I also use stone-ground cornmeal.
>>

> Mine is similar to Wayne's except I add creamed corn and minced green
> chiles. I also on occassion add one or all of these as well: grated
> cheddar cheese, jalapeno peppers, crumbled bacon; all to taste.

That's a good combination, Alan. When I make something like that, I
usually also add sour cream, and serve it by spooning it out rather than
cutting it into squares or wedges. Good stuff!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Hey, you've got a third eye! Uh, never mind...
it's just a spot of dirt in the middle of your
forehead.