Posted to rec.food.cooking
TammyM[_1_] TammyM[_1_] is offline

Default It's cold outside!!!

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 05:23:09 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>It's 32 F. degrees outside. ((
>
>The house is creaking.
>
>I don't know if I can wait until 10 a.m. for brunch.
>
>Got my slippers on, for cryin' out loud!
>
>Those Farmer's Almanac folks know what they're talking about.
>
>The BUMS!!!

It's coolish here, finally, in the wilds of south Northern California.
Overcast. Maybe 52-ish degrees F at 8:20 a.m. I wish I had time to
make soup today! But I'm preparing for the first of 3 trips over the
next 4.5 weeks, and there's no rest for the wicked.

TammyM

Black Bean Soup
The best black bean soup is made with dried black beans, rather than
canned.

· 1 pound dried black beans
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 1/4 pound bacon
· 1/4 pound diced ham
· 4 onions, chopped
· 4 garlic cloves, minced
· 3 stalks celery including leaves, chopped
· 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
· 2 teaspoons ground cumin
· 3 quarts chicken broth
· 1/4 cup dry white wine
· 1/2 cup dry sherry
Wash black beans, cover with water and allow to soak overnight; rinse;
drain; set aside.
Pour oil into a large soup pot. Add the bacon, ham, onion, garlic and
celery. Cook at high simmer until vegetables are soft, about 30
minutes. Add beans, rice, seasonings, and broth to soup pot. Bring to
a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
Let soup cool; put through the blender a little at a time, until
smooth. Return to soup pot; reheat on low about 45 minutes, adding
wine and sherry. Serve hot.