Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Rich[_1_] Rich[_1_] is offline

Default Iced tea?

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> Rich > wrote:
>>Which black tea makes the best iced tea? I've read that the big tea
>>companies (Lipton, etc.) select teas that stay clear rather than turning
>>cloudy when iced, when they sell teas labeled "for iced tea." What teas
>>might those be?
>>
>>I don't like flowery scented teas. And by iced tea, I don't mean southern
>>"sway tea." I like good old yankee unsweetened iced tea. I'm looking for a
>>good flavored loose black tea that will produce the very best clear,
>>strong,
>>iced tea. Any ideas?

> Try one of the Uva-grown Ceylon teas. Very strong and robust, they hold
> up well to icing. If you must have something in bags, try PG Tips.

No, I must have something that's not in bags. The Ceylon sounds right,
though. Searching through the vendors for iced tea recommendations, it seems
Ceylon teas are a common thread. As hot teas, the few I've tried seem rather
one dimensional, but maybe the complexities of the Darjeelings, Keemuns, and
Yunnans would not come through when iced.

> Who
> cares if they get cloudy? You want tea that tastes good, not tea that
> looks
> good.

Since iced tea is served in clear glasses, the appearance is a factor, but
now I'm thinking maybe clarity is more dependent on method of preparation
than on variety.

> Also, the Malawi BOP from Upton's ices nicely.

Thanks,

--Rich