Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dawn[_2_] Dawn[_2_] is offline

Default Keeping chocolate shiny - brown

wrote:

> I like to melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and dip my biscotti in it.
> But after the chocolate dries - the chocolate looks pasty white -
> almost chalky. What can I add to the chocolate to keep shiny after it
> dries? Someone mentioned cream . . .

Melting and Tempering Chocolate

"Whether you intend to coat a food item in chocolate or to mold
chocolate into a particular shape (like a lollipop or an Easter bunny)
you need to know how to melt and temper chocolate. Tempering chocolate
causes the particles in chocolate to be distributed and suspended evenly
throughout the final chocolate product, rather than clumping or
clotting. Correctly tempered chocolate will yield a bright, crisp, and
shiny chocolate, while incorrectly tempered chocolate will produce a
chocolate that is streaky and dull."

http://allrecipes.com/howto/melting-...te/detail.aspx

Dawn