Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S Alan S is offline

Default Any Coles slaw recipe

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:57:45 +0100, "Nicky"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> Do we have any recipe for making cole slaw.
>> How can bulk Coles slaw be stored or freeze?

>I chop up equal quantities of carrot and cabbage, bind with mayonnaise and
>yoghurt, season, and add in whatever springs to mind - maybe scallions, or a
>few raisins or apples, a few walnuts... a cabbage's worth lasts for about a
>week in the fridge, which is how long it takes Elder Daughter and I to eat
>it. It gets better with sitting, so I assume it would last longer...
>
>Nicky.

Mine is very similar. My proportions are more like 2:1
cabbage to carrot. I use an old-fashioned egg/oil mayonnaise
(NOT a low-fat mayo) and mix it with an equal quantity of
plain unsweetened yoghurt, just enough to bind it without
getting slushy and add a splash of ordinary white vinegar.
Occasionally I'll add some finely chopped mint or other
herbs from the garden.

Similarly, I add some finely chopped red onion,
capsicum(bell pepper), and a little of whatever's cluttering
the fridge at the time. Often I add a touch of chopped
chili, but just a touch. The extras mix in better if added
to the mayo/yoghurt mix before incorporating with the
shredded veges.

It won't freeze without spoiling, but will keep quite a
while in a sealed container in the fridge.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/