Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bronwyn Bronwyn is offline

Default Cooking Chicken with walnuts & pomegranate paste

Bronwyn wrote:
> In the middle of cooking Pomegranate Khoresh with Chicken posted
> recently by Tammy.
> It is basically chicken pieces sauted with onions with a ground walnut
> and pomegranate paste added. I was out of saffron threads, so the paste
> is just walnuts, cinnamon and pomegranate molasses (diluted). We like
> spicy food. This appears bland but I'm willing to cook as recipe for
> the first time and see what we think. The recipe also calls for
> butternut pumpkin cubes, browned then added to the dish and all cooked
> for 1.5 hrs. I decided to brown the cubes in oil on an oven tray, and
> then add them towards the end of the cooking time so they don't cook
> right down, Yeah, so I am changing the recipe a bit<grin>.
> The recipe suggests serving with rice. I think it will need a green
> vegetable side. I am so used to putting fresh herbs in my cooking, the
> chicken looks ' bland'. Can I stop myself putting f. chopped parsley
> in to serve??
> Anyone else got any thoughts on these ruminations?
>
> Cheers
> Bronnie

Answering myself here..... well. we have just eaten the dinner. it was
delicious. I did put herbs on the side - parsley and mint which I
thought was nice with it. DH and I discussed the dish, and thought
*maybe* you could add some dried apricots or prunes. But, then on
finishing the meal, it was rich as it was. I served white rice and a
side dish of chopped broccoli and tomato. That was a good foil against
the richness. I also added a squeeze of lemon to the chicken before
serving.
In summary, we loved the dish and would cook it for company. it is a
really unusual dish. A light fruit dessert would follow I think.
Poached pears or something.

--
Bronnie