Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] joshiro@gmail.com is offline

Default Do you throw the first layer of lettuce away

Mark Thorson wrote:

> I do that with Brussels sprouts. Only the tight
> inner leaves can be assured to be free of
> E. coli O157:H7. And I boil or steam them,
> never eat them raw, even without the current
> problem with organic (manure) fertilizer.

E coli can go into plants through the vasculature of lettuce - why not
other plants?

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Irra...tedlettuce.cfm

Re the paper referenced in the URL above: I used to work in the lab
next door to those guys (the first author and his wife were even guests
at my wedding!). Anyway, they showed me photos of GFP-labeled E coli in
the lettuce "veins." Pretty damn convincing.

June