Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default So hey, I have a few questions

Peri Meno wrote:
> So I've recently rekindled my love affair with cooking, right? Now I'm
> all addicted to the Food Network, watching the shows, always open for
> new recipe ideas and stuff. Anyway, and this has been bothering me, the
> other day it dawns on me that a lot of these cooks, chefs, whathaveyous
> don't use potholders/oven mitts, but instead they use their towels. The
> only one I've seen using cutesy oven mitts is Giada. So what's up with
> that? Is it just not cool to use oven mitts? Should I get rid of mine?

Professionl cooks don't use mitts because they're dangerous... if
doused with hot water/grease they'll be badly scalded./burned before
they can get those fercocktah mitts off. Pro cooks only wear shoes
they can instantly step out, usually clogs made from non-absorbant
material, and never wear socks, same reason.

> Second question. I've noticed that Rachel uses all these generic
> looking products. Her cans read "Chicken Stock" or "Wild Salmon" or
> whatever. Her spices are "Cumin" or "Turmeric" or xyz... I mean, I
> never see a brand, you know? Does she have people on her staff that
> print up special labels to cover up the brands? I'm just wondering.

Pro cooks mostly refill dispenser containers from bulk.

> And, am I the only one that has a problem with Emeril tossing his
> kitchen rag over his shoulder - brushing it against his dandruffy hair
> every time - and then using the same rag to pull the pizza out of the
> oven? I mean, that's pretty nee-as-tee, don't you think? I wouldn't
> want to be one of those people in the audience that get to eat the
> stuff. Yuck.

You should never eat at restaurants, and especially not at other
people's homes.

Sheldon