Scott

Default "bread flour"

In article >,
"Steph G.B" > wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just got a bread machine recently, and i noticed that all recipes call for
> bread flour..
>
> what is bread flour and where can i find it? i'm in Ottawa, Canada, and
> most people i know have never seen any.
>
> Would all purpose flour yield the same results?

Bread flour is white flour that has a relatively high percentage of
protein (gluten--or, more specifically, gluten-forming proteins). Bread
flour has the highest levels of the generally available flours, cake the
lowest. All-purpose is a compromise for between the different sorts.
However, there are no standards for gluten content; you might find that
the all purpose flour sold in Canada is as high in gluten as the bread
flour in the southern US. See how it works out for you; supermarkets
also sell vital wheat gluten, which can be used to raise the gluten
content of flour.
I believe that lower gluten flours are generally used in Europe, but I
don't know if a bread machine is more likely to reqiore "bread" flour.

please mail OT responses only