Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva[_1_] Samartha Deva[_1_] is offline

Default Is my starter dead?

ojuice wrote:
> Oh sorry, I meant that I'm only keeping back one cup of starter, and
> then adding 1 cup of flour and one cup of water to it.
>
> - ojuice

OK - so in essence you are tripling the flour at room temperature in 24
hours.

My thinking is that's still way insufficient.

If you look at my DM3 calculator:

http://samartha.net/cgi-bin/SD-Dtm-3-03.cgi

you find different stages, and under the Factor *) column are the flour
multiplication factors for every stage.

For the 15 - 24 hour stage you find 13 as multiplication factor.

That's with full grain rye and that is slower than white flour.

My feeling is that doubling may be good for 6 hours and then the next
feeding - again at least doubling needs to happen.

That depends a lot on the vitality (germ count) of your starter but it
should give you a better idea about the speed of this game.

If you don't feed enough and keep the same routine, you are running down
your starter and eventually it will stop.

That's probably what happened.

Samartha