Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Brian Mailman[_1_] Brian Mailman[_1_] is offline

Default Paris and Provence

--keven. wrote:

> We are traveling to Provence then to Paris this month, are there any
> particularly recommended bakeries to visit in either region? In
> Provence we'll be near Avignon, visiting the Luberon, Cotes du Rhone,
> Aix, etc. And in Paris we'll be in the VII Arrondisement.

I'm just back a couple weeks ago from both regions; although "Provence"
is large place and I was waaay out in the country, 2km from the nearest
gathering of houses w/bakery and 40km (25 miles or so) SW from
Perigeaux. The local bakery was pretty good, and seemed to have the
bake time stamped on the wrappers of the loaves or croissant/brioche.

Seemed like anyone we saw on foot, on bicycle, or en Renault had a few
baguettes with them, no matter what the time of day.

In Paris, I never did get the system of the Arrondisement down (all I
know is I was in the IVth), but if you're on the Left Bank, near Notre
Dame, look for "Poilane" or "Poilne" on the bistrot windows or on the
"plat" boards. They all use it in their croques (under, I guess, would
be a better description). Wonderful stuff, indeed.

B/