graham

Default "bread flour"

"Steph G.B" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I just got a bread machine recently, and i noticed that all recipes call

for
> bread flour..
>
> what is bread flour and where can i find it? i'm in Ottawa, Canada, and
> most people i know have never seen any.
>
> Would all purpose flour yield the same results?
>
> thanks in advance..

Strange. Your supermarket should carry bread flour which is higher in
gluten than AP. It is often labelled "best for bread". The popularity of
bread machines means that supermarkets usually carry several brands
including their own.
If you get really keen on bread baking, you might try the Loblaw's
"wholesale" outlet (?Great Canadian...) which sells bakers' flour in 20kg
sacks for about $11.

Friends of mine with a bread machine, here in Calgary, use AP flour with
good results. The protein value of this is about 12% compared with 14-15%
for some bread flour. However, in Europe, great bread is made with 10%
levels.

Graham