Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri Dimitri is offline

Default Turkey brining bag

"Little Malice" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Dimitri" > said:
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

>>> Easy,

>> Take a large cooler and fill several 1/2 gallon jugs (apple juice etc) with
>> water. Then line the cooler with the bag and the bird. Add cooled brining
>> solution and burp out as much air as possible. Secure with 1 or more twist
>> tie's. Fill the cooler to the top with ice. (note if you have freezer room
>> fill the jugs 90% and freeze uncapped).

> Why uncapped? I ask because I keep a bunch of those in the top of my
> freezer -- we use them to help it stay cold in there, plus they make
> good ice blocks for the cooler. BTW, it's nice to see you posting
> again, Dimitri... :-)
>

> --
> "Little Malice" is Jani in WA
> ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Thanks, ;-)

The uncapped takes care of the expansion of the water when freezing else the
bottle can crack and break. The purpose of the bottle is to take up volume in
the cooler that would have to be filled by the brine. It makes the whole
process much easier to handle. Normally I use an apple juice for the base of
the brine ergo I have the bottles handy.

Dimitri