Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Turkey brining bag

Nancy Young wrote:
> Just read the latest issue of Cook's Illustrated. Turkey day is coming,
> and we'll have the usual brining in garbage bag thing coming up.
> I'm in the 'garbage bags are not food grade ... or manufactured in a
> food sterile environment' camp.
>
> This was an interesting recommendation I could get behind. I've
> seen the ads ... those Zip Lock bags for storing large items ... like
> pillows and stuff. The magazine says they are food grade ... and
> I believe it, I doubt they built a new factory to make the larger bags
> separately from the food ones.
>
> Ziplock XL bags, around $6 for 4 of them.
>
> nancy

All the turkeys that I buy are already kind of salty. I assume they are
tumbled in a sodium phosphate and MSG solution, or something like that.
("Deep basted", perhaps) I can't imagine brining one. The meat is
really good, but all that salt ruins the gravy if I'm not careful.

I buy really cheap frozen turkeys year round, usually about 69¢ per
pound. None of the stores here use them as loss-leaders for the
holidays. :-( I remember buying Butterball turkeys for 19¢ per pound
at Kroger or HEB for THanksgiving in Houston...

Bob