Roy Basan

Default all-purpoe flour

Fay Wouk > wrote in message >...
> I want to use one of my favorite scone recipes, which calls for
> all-purpose flour, but I am currently living in New Zealand, where they
> don't have any such thing - only cake flour and high grade (bread)
> flour. I understand all purpose flour is a mix of the two. Does anyone
> know what the correct proportions would be? Should I use half and half?
>
> thanks,
> Fay

You can buy plain flour as that is available in both New Zealand and
Australia.
If not just tell the strorekeeper you want ordinary flour.
I am not worried about the bread flour of those areas as they are
lower in protein quality than the north american flours.
Look ,bakers in those areas usually add gluten if they made bread with
their bakers flour meaning that their flour quality is medium gluten
type in the same range as all purpoe flour.

Flour in those areas are of thiese types,
BAkers Flour 11% protein, Seldom reach 12% in most areas.
Biscuit flour and pastry flour 9-9.5% protein
High ratio cake flour 8-9% protein
wholemeal flour 12-13% protein
wheat meal flour or 90% whole meal and 10% bakers flour;this latter
flour is a finer granulation than the normal wholemeal.
Roy