Posted to rec.food.cooking
tert in seattle tert in seattle is offline

Default A Persian Recipe for Christine: Pomegranate Khoresh with Chicken

writes:
>Pomegranate Khoresh with Chicken
>
>2 large onions, peeled, and thinly sliced
>2 pounds chicken legs or duck breast, cut up with skin removed
>5 tablespoons oil or butter
>1 teaspoon salt
>1/2 cup pomegranate paste dissolved in 2.5 cups water or 4 cups
> pomegranate juice
>1 cup peeled and cubed butternut squash (optional) (I use it and love
> it in this dish)
>1/2 pound or 2 cups very finely ground walnuts
>1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
>1/4 teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
>2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
>seeds of a whole fresh pomegranate (note to self: grow a pomegranate
> tree)
>
>Brown onions and chicken in oil. Add 1 teaspoon salt.
>
>Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick skillet and brown both sides of
>the squash. Set aside.
>
>In food processor, finely grind the walnuts, add the diluted
>pomegranate paste, cinamon, saffron water and mix well to create a
>creamy paste.
>
>Add the butternut squash and nut paste to the onions and chicken
>stirring gently. If the pomegranate paste is too sour, add 2
>tablespoons sugar. Cover and simmer 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally
>with a wooden spoon to prevent the nuts from burning. (Tammy's note:
>one should never burn one's nor anyone else's nuts)
>
>Garnish with pomegranate seeds. Serve with rice.
>
>This recipe is from New Food of Life (Ancient Persian and Modern
>Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies) which was given to me by a fellow
>rfcer who knows how much I love him :-) There are variations of this
>recipe which I'm far too lazy to type in. I HIGHLY recommend this
>book to anyone who finds this type of cookery appealling. I do, and I
>cook from it often.

I wouldn't call it a Persian recipe -- Persian-inspired maybe.
There's no option for butternut squash in the dish known as
Khoresh Fesenjan. Have you tried it without? Serve the squash
on the side and see what you think.