Posted to alt.food.wine
Furious Shepherd Furious Shepherd is offline

Default FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

"jIM" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Furious Shepherd wrote:
>> "DPM" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "jIM" > wrote in message
>> > ups.com...
>> >>

>> > Here's a few I've enjoyed. I should say that I'm usually only
>> > interested
>> > in
>> > NY Riesling and occasionally Gewurztraminer - I find most non-vinifera
>> > wines
>> > (with the possible exception of Seyval Blanc) appalling. Occasionally
>> > you'll find a drinkable Cab Franc, but most other reds leave a lot to
>> > be
>> > desired. That said, here's my list:
>> >
>> > Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars
>> > Ravines
>> > Heron Hill
>> > Standing Stone
>> > Hermann J. Wiemar
>> > Miles Cellars
>> > Lamoreaux Landing (gorgeous tasting room!)
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> > Dean
>> >

>> A****er is my favorite. However, most of these wineries are on Seneca
>> Lake,
>> not Cayuga. I really perfer many of the wineries on Seneca.

> Our normal trip is along west side of Cayuga and we hit a few on east
> side and south side of Seneca (Castle Gristch is one I know is on
> Seneca... it's the last winery we go to on Cayuga trip).
>
> We are leaving one day earlier this year to hit a different lake, so
> that is why I asked which wineries on Seneca (or Keuka) others
> recomend. What side of lake is A****er on?

A****er is on the east side of Seneca. When driving north from Watkins Glen
it is one of the first wineries you'll see (it used to be first but some new
ones have sprung up since. I always stop at A****er, Hazlitt, Cateau
Lafayette, Lamereaux Landing and, finally, Wagner Valley (more for the
beers). Used to stop at Logan Ridge too and will likely stop there again as
soon as they find a new owner.

Castel Grisch, Seneca Shore (cheap and decent wines) and Arcadian (for the
cheeses) are favorite stops on the west shore. If you like mead, Earle
Estate isn't too bad.