Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: '00 Bourgogne, '95 CdP

Sunday I took Betsy's mom to airport, then returned home to follow
Betsy's instructions re cooking some duck legs (she was playing).
Recipe-following is not my forte, but I made it through a simple though
very good recipe that Betsy has done before (Madeliene Kamman-season
legs, slather with mustard, coat with breadcrumbs, drizzle with butter,
2 hours at 375F). I also did some green beans and potatoes with basil.
Betsy came home, we had a nice dinner with a bottle (my last bottle?)
of the 2000 Michel Lafarge Bourgogne. I'm a relentless experimenter,
and almost never buy wines by the case except for an occasional ageable
Bordeaux, but this was one of the exceptions. And I think this was my
last bottle. Adn that makes me sad. Pretty cherry and raspberry fruit,
with just a hint of bitterness to keep it interesting. Good acidity,
mineral and floral notes. With air the earthy notes take wing. A simple
Bourgogne, a non-herarlded vintage, take your shots, but this is a good
wine. A-/B+

Tonight Betsy rewarded me for a big afternoon of car-haggling by making
a meatloaf recipe I had sent her (Sunset magazine from years ago, a
lamb and feta meatloaf). Very good, served with brown rice,red chard,
and the 1995 Berard P & F "Cuvee Prestige" Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Tight
at first, then warm ripe red fruit and a little earth appear as it gets
some air. Ends up a pleasant round red wine, but doesn't show much
complexity or depth. Not flawed, tired, or over the hill, just a tad
dull. B-