Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Miso soup and leftover tofu

I just finished enjoying a double helping of miso soup, which I
prepared myself. It was great! I followed the recipe on
videojug.com.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-miso-soup

This was my second attempt, as my first was a failure.
Here's some tips to follow to get it right the first time:

- Don't use nori seaweed in place of wakame. Nori is way beyond
dried. It's mummified. I can gar-un-damn-tee you, it's gonna stay
that way. The wakame rehydrates in just a couple minutes.

- Don't use konbu dashi concentrate. Konbu means it's vegatarian
dashi and contains no bonito. I now have some useless liquid konbu
dashi concentrate I can't use because it sucks. Better to use instant
dashi. It comes in a small box containing foil packets with the dried
concentrate, like powdered bullion. I've tried making my own dashi
using dried seaweed and dried bonito flakes. Honestly, from a taste
standpoint, I prefer the instant. Even the Japanese guy who owned the
Japanese store in Japantown recommended the instant.

- Know your tofu. Being totally clueless about tofu, I bought silken
tofu. I thought it was soft because firm is the next grade up for the
brand we have around here. The silken tofu I initially purchased was
only slightly firmer than fresh mucus. Turns out the tofu labeled
firm is what is shown in the vid.

I used red miso and am quite happy with the results. At the rate I
eat this stuff, it should last for months. I'll get some white miso
next and try some more adventurous ingredients other than just the
tofu, scallions, and wakame shown in the video.

I only have one problem, now. I only used half my package of tofu.
I'll undoubtedly use the rest in the next day or two, but how to keep
it. Do I add more water to the container and keep it wet, or will
just wrapping in plastic be ok?

nb