Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Shopping cart thief

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
>> a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
>> this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
>> took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
>> that.

> LOL. BTDT. I was the "thief" - once. Took the wrong one. Luckily I
> realized it after putting only one or two more items in "my" cart. I also
> said bad words. I looked around for somebody "muttering", didn't see
> anybody, so headed back to where I had left the cart, found mine, dumped
> my stuff in it and left the "stolen" cart back there... Whew!!!

(laugh) And get out of Dodge before anyone sees you.

>> I turned around and wham! got my hand between the racing cart
>> and the front of a gold Mercedes. Bad words. I hurt my pinky.
>> What, did they oil the friggin cart wheels this week? I was so mad.
>> But, hey, the car didn't get scratched.

> You were sorta lucky there - pinkies usually heal by themselves .

Oh, this is the one I really hurt a few years ago and hasn't been
right since. That's okay, it's puffy, there won't even be anything
left to whine about in a couple hours, as you say.

> Had my car scratched more than once by those "runaways" (and once it was
> not even my cart!) <sigh> But my worst moan about carts is the ones that
> have that "one wheel" that won't turn, no-way no-how.... Grrrrrr. You
> either have to take the damn thing back to the bay and get another one
> (but usually there is no other cart in sight) or just put up with it.

Gawd, I used to just cringe when I would get one of those. It would wait
until I was about 30 feet into the store, lock up and screeeeech everywhere
you went. So embarrassing. They keep them in better repair these days, I
guess, that hasn't happened to me in forever.

nancy