Posted to rec.food.cooking
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default non-hydrogenated frying oils

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:25:40 GMT, Matt > wrote:

>I am looking for an oil to use for frying.
>
>I don't want to use hydrogenated oils (notably Crisco and other
>shortenings) because of health concerns.

How about coconut oil? People claim it has health benefits. Here's just one
page on this: http://www.mercola.com/forms/coconut_oil.htm

>The problem is that the liquid oils I have tried start to smoke or smell
>rancid when frying.

According to this page:
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Colle...mokePoints.htm
Coconut oil has a smoke point of 350 F, though it would depend on how
refined it is. There are other oils that are higher.

This page: http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/oils.html
Discusses the various oils you can fry with.

Don <www.PaleoFood.com> (e-mail link at page bottoms).