Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Default Extended Maceration

marcO wrote:
> I am making Cab. The last one I made I did not extend the maceration or
> do cold soaking and the result lacked body. I will be doing cold
> soaking for about 2 days with dry ice, but I was wondering how it is
> even possible to extend the maceration safely.

Cold soak and extended maceration don't make sense done together on one
wine. Generally speaking, the first is used to extract colour with the
intent to press early to get a fruity wine ready to drink. The second
is used to extract tannins and give them time to polymerize, and it's
done to make well-structured, big reds. As somebody already mentioned,
after about a week you're start losing some colour, so extracting
colour early via cold maceration doesn't make sense in this scenario.
If you decide to macerate, I'd go with the extended maceration for a
Cab as long as you've got good grapes.

Pp