Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default "collateral included deaths in organic rice production [faq]"

<dh@.> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:01:51 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>

>><dh@.> wrote in message ...

glegroups.com...

>>> Of course.

>>I mean can we do it *legitimately*?

> Some of we can.

None of us can, legitimately, you do it illegitimately..

> Others of "we"--like YOU "aras"--can't do it at all.

Anyone *can*, nobody should.

>>> LOL! I mean: Of course.

>>No it doesn't, an argument to that effect is included.

>>> That's a different issue.

>>It is THE issue. If an argument is self-serving and circular then it
>>should
>>been seen as suspect and discarded.

> It should be examimed to see if that aspect of the situation in any
> way reduces the quality of life for animals.

It is instantly apparent that it has nothing to do with it.

> And the only time that
> CONSIDERATION OF THE ANIMALS reduces the quality of their
> lives, is when there's not enough of it.

"Consideration" in this context has no bearing on the quality of their
lives. The only consideration that impacts the quality of their lives is,
*consideration of the quality of their lives*. "Considering what they get
out of it" doesn't help them at all, therefore declining to do it as all
sensible people do, is not selfish or "inconsiderate" in any way.

>>> No matter how loud you sing or how you
>>> dance around it, the fact will always remain that the animals are not
>>> cheated out of longer lives, better lives, or anything like that because
>>> they are raised to be eaten.

>>Nobody said they were "cheated out of longer lives" because they are
>>raised
>>to be eaten, they are "cheated out of longer lives" because we kill them.
>>That's what we are defending, killing them.

> Some of us are considering everything.

Some of those "considerations" are actually shabby sophistry.

> Others of you pick and
> choose what supports "ar", and only want people to consider that.
> Duh.

Ethical people avoid "considerations" that are shabby sophistry.

>>> No. That's changing the subject to something completely different,
>>> as I point out when you change the subject to something completely
>>> different.

>>It is legitimate and necessary to examine other contexts in which the same
>>kind of reasoning may be used.

>>> It depends on whether or not the children were deliberately raised
>>> ONLY to be treated that way.
>>> Some of us have decided IN ADVANCE
>>> that it's okay to raise and kill animals for food.

>>As I have, therefore "giving them life" is an extraneous and circular
>>argument to add on after you already decided that IN ADVANCE that it's
>>right.
>>
>>> So if you're going to
>>> make up some grotesquery about children as you want so badly to
>>> do, you need to come up with something that people have decided
>>> IN ADVANCE is okay to raise them for.

>>Slaves were deliberately raised in order to be worked 16 hours a day for
>>no
>>pay and whipped or hung from a tree if they talked back. Did that make it
>>OK?

> No. I wouldn't say it is okay for animals either.

So it made absolutely no difference that the decison was made in advance,
thank you.

>>No, the issue of the decision being made "IN ADVANCE" is irrelevant.

> It's not irrelevant in regards to those being enslaved, but you can't
> understand how it is, can you?

It is irrelevant to those being enslaved whether or not their masters
planned to enslave them or not. This is just a feeble attempt by you to
dismiss a valid analogy that highlights the kind of shabby sophistry you
desperately need someone to accept.