Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default yeast/bacteria balance

TG wrote:
> Are you talking about (futz around) where you store and how you store
> the starter?

Having read Dick's posts for years, I'll try to share how I interpret
his attitude on this issue. Dick is not always terribly straightforward.

Dick seems to feel that many people obsess over the starter. He calls
it "startermuckery." People who collect dozens of cultures - but use
them so infrequently that they can't tell the difference between them,
or really know how this culture should be handled.

In the end, unless you are a microbiologist, it's not about the starter,
it's about the bread. The starter is just the way you get there.

Are starters different? Sure. Does it really matter? Usually, no.

Spending too much time messing with the starter is usually a waste of
time. Instead, you would be better served by making bread

Mike