Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Brisket cut?

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:06:13 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I usually look for the flat cut, not the point cut. If I remember
>> correctly, it's been a while. Now I see it being advertised as
>> thin cut. Do I want that cut? I'm thinking of making corned beef
>> and cabbage today.

> The first cut or flat cut is leaner and commonly used for corned beef.
> That is probably what they mean by thin cut. You could use either.

I'm going to assume that's correct.

> I have not noticed the point cut in the grocery store meat markets in our
> area
> (TX).

Around the times when brisket (corned or not) is on sale, you'll see
the point cut for somewhat cheaper (around here, I mean). I know not
to get that from this here newsgroup.

> We always buy the whole brisket or packer cut for BBQ. Plenty of fat
> cap is good for BBQ.

Oh, I just *love* brisket, but I have never made BBQ. Yes, it's true.

I've made Kay Hartman's brisket from when she was on Calling All Cooks.
Love that.

> Do you have a good recipe for corned beef?

There are two similar ones here, Dimitri's and Sheldon's. This is
the best part. When you are done cooking it (and I am talking about
corned beef that you buy, I have never corned a brisket myself, you
are on your own for that), you roast it in the oven with a slathering of
mustard and brown sugar. The texture improves tremendously, and the
flavor from the mustard, mmm mm. I got the recipes from google, and
I notice that Sheldon's calls for thin cut. So there I have it.

Dimitri's:

:Boil the corned beef as per the instructions that come with it and use the
:spice packet and include 2 carrots and 2 onions. Remove the meat and
:reserve the liquid for later use.
:
:Make a paste of a good seedy mustard and brown sugar. Put the corned beef
n a rack fat side up and spread the mustard mixture on top. Bake in a
:moderate oven 300 to 325 for about an hour or until the mustard mixture is
:brown and crispy.
:
:While the corned beef is cooking steam the vegetables using some of the
:reserved boiling mixture.
:
:Let the corned beef rest for 10 to 15 min before slicing.
:
:Regards,
:
imitri

---= Sheldon'sŪ Corned Beef =---
Choose good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer Nathan's).

Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots of water.
First,
rinse corned beef and and discard spices if present (old spices were used
up),
or save spice packet if present. Start in cold water. Bring to the boil
(uncovered).

Simmer 1/2 hour, dump water! Yes, discarding water removes
excess salt/nitrites. Okay, now the actual cooking begins.

Start in cold water (again? yes, again!). Add spice packet (if none exists
or since you
dumped the first batch, add new pickling spices. Bring to the boil, lower
heat
to low simmer. Simmer aproximately 1 hour and add peeled carrots (whole)
and
unpeeled potatoes (whole), bring to simmer again and add cabbage wedges.
Simmer til veggies are tender and remove.

Continue simmering til corned beef is tender yet firm; test with fork
(you're forking may vary). Remove corned
beef to roasting pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown sugar, tent
loosely with foil, and place in 325 F oven for 30-45 minutes.

Remove corned beef from oven (now place veggies in oven to reheat). Let
corned beef rest
uncovered 15 minutes, with sharp knife slice thinly accross grain, and
serve
with veggies, mustard, and beer.