Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Hans Fugal Hans Fugal is offline

Default yeast/bacteria balance

Jeff Miller wrote:
> My understanding has always been that no matter where the culutre came from,
> within a couple of months, your local microflora will take over in your
> starter. If that's true, then that would explain why your cultures change
> their flavor characteristics.
>
> Is this true? Or am I repeating a sourdough urban legend here?

The bread I have been baking for a couple of years with two different
starts (or are they the same?) tends to be on a range of mild to sour to
really sour. When it's the middle sour it tastes like the california
sourdough I finally got to try a month ago. But my start has never been
to california, I can assure you, and the climates in the three different
places I've lived during that time (and the supposed origin of the old
start) are quite different from california (and eachother) as well. In
my experience technique and flour make more of a difference.

I'm waiting for a fresh start from Brian Mailman which I will carefully
keep isolated, at least long enough to see if it has a different taste
than mine.