Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default "collateral included deaths in organic rice production [faq]"

"Rupert" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Dutch wrote:
>> "Rupert" > wrote
>> >
>> > Dutch wrote:

>> [..]
>> >>

>> > You can identify some differences which hold between most humans and
>> > most nonhumans and claim that they are morally relevant, but there will
>> > always be some humans who don't have these differences from nonhuman
>> > animals.

>> I have explained this before. Human rights are designed to protect humans
>> because of what we are by nature, and those rights cover all humans,
>> including those whose nature is not yet developed or diminished by age or
>> injury. We always hold by default to the hope that our human potential
>> will
>> be realized.

>> > It can't be dismissed. It has to be come to terms with.

>> That is coming to terms with it, it is the rational conclusion.
>>
>> > If we hold that
>> > it is permissible to do these things to nonhuman animals because they
>> > lack certain characteristics, then we must also hold that it would be
>> > permissible to do the same things to humans who lack the
>> > characteristics.

>> No, because it is the essential ability to hold these characteristics
>> that
>> is the deciding factor, not actual possession of the characteristics. All
>> humans have the essential ability to hold the characteristics of
>> humanness,

> I disagree.

You're wrong.

>> even if they are impaired due to misfortune. No animals of any other
>> species
>> have the potential to have such abilities, ZERO.
>>

> The reality is it is a continuum.

No it's not a continuum, it's black and white.

> Nonhumans share these characteristics
> with us to varying degrees.

No they don't.

> You can, if you want, pick a certain
> threshold and say "most humans are above this threshold, all nonhumans
> are below it." But you'll have to set the threshold pretty high.

Nonsense

> Consider the following individual:
>
> "She communicates in sign language, using a vocabulary of over 1000
> words. She also understands spoken English, and often carries on
> 'bilingual' conversations, responding in sign to questions asked in
> English. She is learning the letters of the alphabet, and can read some
> printed words, including her own name. She has achieved scored between
> 85 and 95 on the Standford-Binet Intelligence Test. She demonstrates a
> clear self-awareness by engaging in self-directed behaviours in front
> of a mirror, such as making faces or examining her teeth, and by her
> appropriate use of self-descriptive language. She lies to avoid the
> consequences of her own misbehaviour, and anticipates others' resopnses
> to her actions. She engages in imaginary play, both alone and with
> others. She has produced paintings and drawings which are
> representational. She remembers and can talk about past events in her
> life. She understands and has used appropriately time-related words
> like 'before', 'after', 'later' and 'yesterday'. She laughs at her own
> jokes and those of others. She cries when hurt or left alone, screams
> when frightened or angered. She talks about her feelings, using words
> like 'happy', 'sad', 'afraid', 'enjoy', 'eager', 'frustrate', 'made'
> and, quite frequently, 'love'. She grieves for those she has lost - a
> favourite cat who has died, a friend who has gone away. She can talk
> about what happens when one dies, but she becomes fidgety and
> uncomfortable when asked to discuss her own death or the death of her
> companions. She displays a wonderful gentleness with kittens and other
> small animals. She has even expressed empathy for others seen only in
> pictures."
>
> That's a description of a nonhuman. You can set the threshold higher
> than that if you want, but many would like to see some kind of
> justification for doing so.

I am not at all convinced that a lot of what is reported there is not
projection on the part of over-zealous handlers. Also I am not arguing that
non-humans do not possess intelligence. Having said that, I believe that
great apes possess sufficient human-like qualities that they could rightly
be considered as deserving of basic rights.

> You may have no trouble drawing a sharp line between nonhuman great
> apes and humans now. But this is just an accident of evolutionary
> history. If all the evolutionary intermediaries were still living
> today, you might have more trouble knowing exactly where to draw the
> line.

That's an unecessary hypothetical, I already have sufficient difficulty
drawing a sharp line between nonhuman great apes and humans that I see no
reason we should not err on the side of the apes.

>> > Most people would find this counter-intuitive. The
>> > position may be right, but someone who wants to advocate it should be
>> > upfront about it, and say "I hold that it is permissible to do these
>> > things to nonhuman animals because they lack these characteristics -
>> > and I also hold that it would be permissible to do these things to
>> > humans who lack the characteristics."

>> You're approaching the problem backwards in order to artificially reach
>> the
>> conclusion you wish to reach. In order to raise other animal species to
>> the
>> level of humans, which is what you are trying to do, you must find at
>> least
>> one example of a member of a non-human species with capabilities equal or
>> similar to humans.

> Nonhumans do have similar capabilities to SOME humans.

You're still approaching the question backwards.

> Whatever we
> decide about these beings, they should be treated the same way. It's
> not true that these humans have the "essential ability" or the
> "potential" to have these characteristics you're so excited about. It's
> irrational to treat beings on the basis of what is typical for their
> species, rather than their individual characteristics.

The regime of rights attempts with limited success to view the human species
as a family or a tribe. It is not irrational to view one's family favorably.

>> Instead you are attempting to drag all humans down to the
>> level of other animals by pointing to rare humans who's human abilities
>> are
>> impaired. That is not a logical approach, because impairment of abilities
>> is
>> ad hoc, arbitrary and meaningless, it can occur by injury, accident,
>> disease
>> or fluke of genetics, it does not exist by nature.

> I can't distinguish between the condition of being born a permanently
> radically cognitively impaired human and being born a nonhuman. They
> both seem to be "by nature" to me.

I think you could if you tried, but you don't want to. The nature of humans
is not to have single-digit IQs, it is to have IQs of 100.

>> The question is asked,
>> "What if a race of beings came to the earth with powers equal to or
>> greater
>> than humans?" They would be accorded rights, just as any animal species
>> would who demonstrated capacities equivalent to humans.
>>
>> > Very few defenders of animal
>> > agriculture are actually prepared to come out and say that. If they
>> > want to say it, fine, then the matter can be debated. But if they hold
>> > that it's permissible to do it to the nonhumans, but not the relevantly
>> > similar humans,

>> There are no animals relevantly similar to humans.
>>
>> > then the characteristics we identified aren't what
>> > count after all, but rather species membership.

>> Species membership identifies all beings who either have, have the
>> potential
>> to have, or have in their essence human abilities, or humaness.

> Don't agree with "have in their essence". It's hand-waving.

No it's not, it's descriptive. No monkey has in it's essence a poet,
philosopher or musician.

If the
> permanently radically cognitively impaired humans have it in their
> essence, why not the nonhumans too?

Cognitively impaired humans are exceptional cases usually a result of
accident or misfortune, exceptions to not make a rule.

> Suppose we encountered a chimpanzee who had the same level of
> intelligence as a highly intelligent human adult. What would we say
> about this chimpanzee? Would we say that "in essence" he has the same
> characteristics as ordinary chimpanzees and should be treated
> accordingly, or would we say that all the chimpanzees have his
> characteristics "in essence" and should be raised to his level? It's
> irrational to judge on the basis of what's typical for an individual's
> species. The individual characteristics should be what count.

You raise a valid question in theory but in reality there is no need for an
answer, since no chimpanzee will ever be as intelligent as a functional
human. But the question is unecessary, because chimpanzees are close enough
cousins of humans that in my view they ought to be protected anyway.

>> > Someone can advocate
>> > that species membership is the crucial characteristic too, but then
>> > they have to confront the arguments against speciesism in the
>> > literature.

>> There are no valid arguments against speciesism.

> There are no valid arguments *for* speciesism.

There don't need to be, it is the way nature is. You give no thought
whatsoever to other species until they appear all furry tails and big eyes
on some quasi-political bandwagon.

> Philosophers have been
> trying to find one for a long time, and have failed. We should treat
> individuals on the basis of their individual characteristics, not what
> is typical for their species. If you are uncomfortable with treating
> permamently radically cognitively impaired humans in a certain way, you
> shouldn't treat nonhumans in that way, either.

That's your silly quasi-political bandwagon. Nobody treats non-humans as
they treat humans, unless they choose to in some selective way, nor should
they. Humans are special, that's the way of the world, deal with it.