Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default "collateral included deaths in organic rice production [faq]"

dh@. wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2006 17:58:37 -0700, "Rupert" > wrote:
>

> >dh@. wrote:

> >> Here's another fact that "ethical" veg*ns hate: Some livestock
> >> have lives of positive value. Here's another: The lives of animals
> >> raised for food should be given as much or more consideration
> >> than their deaths.
> >>

> >Yes, well we've discussed this before. The argument that if livestock
> >have sufficiently good lives, this justifies bringing them into
> >existence, inflicting painful mutilations on them without anaesthetic,
> >and killing them for food, is not a "fact" that ethical vegans hate, it
> >is a highly contentious and disputed argument. An important point to
> >address is: would it be permissible to do the same thing to humans, and
> >if not, what's the morally relevant difference?

> In the case of most human slavery, humans are aware of their
> situation and often suffer mentally as well as physically from the
> fact. That's one thing that would make a huge difference in
> quality of life for humans instead of animals. Then if the humans
> knew they would be killed and eaten that would make another
> big difference, since animals have no idea. Also the animals
> we generally raise for food are much tougher and able to thrive
> naked in environments that would kill most humans eventually.
> Then there's the fact that the animals we raise for food have
> offspring who are much easier to care for and provide with
> lives that are of positive value for them. Those are some
> differences which I can't help but take into consideration.

What if the slaves had good lives, and weren't aware of their
situation?

> >I really had a tough
> >time getting an answer out of you on this one, but at one point you
> >seemed to say it would be permissible to do the same thing to humans.

> I hope I asked what the conditions would be. Quality of life
> would be what determines that, imo. I saw a documentary on
> slavery where men were *trying* to become slaves so they could
> better care for their families. They were getting whipped on their
> bare backs to prove themselves somehow. So life is of significance
> sometimes even when it seems like it should not be, and vice versa.
>
> >I think most people would find this pretty difficult to swallow. You're
> >entitled to your opinion, but you should be upfront about what your
> >claims are.

> We might be in that position right now. You don't know...no one does.
> We certainly all get killed by something, and often suffer a lot longer
> than animals we raise for food. But there are things on the plus side
> for us that animals don't get. But thinking on all of humanity, how much
> of it would we have wanted to live through? Most of human existence
> has been spent without civilization or agriculture as we know it. Would
> you rather live however humans managed to survive 20 thousand years
> before the development of agricultural society, or would you rather just
> pass on that?

> >> That they will eat rice regardless of the deaths involved with it,

> >The fact that they are not convinced of Diderot's claims certainly does
> >not prove that they will eat rice regardless of how much harm they
> >think it causes.

> I'm sure they'd just deny it.

Why?

> >They are not convinced that rice production causes a
> >lot of harm, and in any case you don't know whether they eat rice or
> >not. If you think there are good ethical reasons to eat less or no rice
> >and you want to advocate that, go ahead.
> >
> >> and that they will deny the deaths in order to cling to their belief
> >> that they are the ethical champions of the world.
> >>

> >Any opinion they express is not an attempt to cling to a belief, it is
> >a sincerely held opinion.

> Same thing.

No.

> >If you present an argument and someone's not convinced, the rational
> >thing to do is defend the argument, not say that this reflects poorly
> >on them as a person.

> The dishonesty and absurdity is what reflects poorly on them.

I see no evidence of dishonesty. The alleged absurdity is something
that's up to you to argue.

> >> Then why would anyone selling organic rice lie and say it's worse
> >> than it is?
> >>

> >You said there is not the slightest reason to doubt that his testimony
> >is the gospel truth. That is nonsense. He is a stranger who made a post
> >to the internet a few years ago. You have absolutely no way of knowing
> >whether his estimates are reasonable or not. You don't even know
> >whether he is a rice farmer. He has a desire to convince people that
> >the arguments in favour of ethical vegetarianism are flawed.

> It has flaws.

So you say. You are welcome to argue that point if you want.

> >If it is
> >possible that Pearl might lie in order to persuade people of her
> >position, then it is possible that Diderot might intentionally or
> >unintentionally distort the truth in order to persuade people of his
> >position.

> What would be his reason? The only reason would be to point out
> a flaw, and the only reason it would bother him would be that it is a
> flaw. If it wasn't, then he'd have no reason to point it out. He has no
> reason to be dishonest, where "pearl" certainly does if she or her
> buddies eat rice.

If Pearl might be dishonest in order to feel better about eating rice,
Diderot might be dishonest in order to feel better about eating meat.

> . . .

> >> Because of the absurd reactions by veg*ns--and ONLY by veg*ns--to
> >> wildlife deaths associated with rice production.
> >>

> >I see no reason to think they're not prepared to take the facts into
> >consideration, just that they have a sincere doubt that they are indeed
> >facts. If you think they're facts it's your job to argue your case.

> diderot did it from first hand experience and veg*ns deny it so they
> can keep eating rice. Duh.

Diderot claims to be a rice farmer and claims to have made certain
observations. It might or might not be true. The testimony of one
stranger on the Internet is not a very strong reason to be convinced.

> >> I have ONLY reason to believe that no veg*n I've ever encountered
> >> online cares anywhere near as much about human influence on animals
> >> as they do about promoting veg*nism.

> >They want to promote veganism *because* they care about human influence
> >on animals. Why else would they do it?

> Because they don't like meat, and the thought of humans raising animals
> to eat disturbs them personally. That's the only reason.

I can't think of a reason to be disturbed by humans raising animals to
eat apart from a concern about human influence on animals. I don't
think too many vegans had an aversion to the taste of meat before they
went vegan. I didn't.

> >Factory-farming causes enormous
> >suffering, and most animal products have large crop inputs and would
> >therefore have far more CDs per serving than rice.

> I believe rice would have by far the most cds the majority of the
> time, so if rice is okay everything else is as good or better, including
> grain fed animal products.

Well, I seriously doubt that and I'd like to see you argue your case.
But in any case I never said rice was okay.

> >Vegans want to
> >reduce the amount of harm caused by agriculture. Maybe some of them
> >have a blind spot about certain types of agriculture, if so, that's
> >unfortunate. But it's ridiculous to suggest they don't care about human
> >influence on animals. Reducing human influence on animals is the whole
> >point.

> Not in cases where animal products cause fewer cds than vegetable
> products.

It's your job to argue that that is sometimes the case. If you
succeeded, the vegans would be rationally required to concede that the
consumption of those animal products was permissible as well. It
wouldn't in any way change the fact that their motivation for going
vegan is to reduce the impact their diet has on animals.

> >> Even when animal products
> >> contribute to fewer deaths than vegetable products AND provide decent
> >> lives for livestock veg*ns still promote the vegetable products over the
> >> animal products....and usually if not always they do it dishonestly.....in fact
> >> I can't recall a veg*n EVER being honest about doing so.

> >The issue of bringing livestock into existence who have tolerably good
> >lives, if marred by unanaesthetized branding and surgical mutilations,
> >is a red herring.

> It's an aspect "aras" hate because it suggests that decent AW could
> be ethically equivalent or superior to "ar".

No-one hates it. No-one finds the argument plausible. It's flawed, for
reasons that have been pointed out to you countless times.

> >A transition to veganism would cause more wildlife to
> >exist. There is no merit in producing animal products that derives from
> >bringing animals into existence. Your only argument is the comparison
> >of death rates. It's your job to provide the evidence on that one. The
> >reason some vegans don't go along with you in encouraging the
> >consumption of grass-fed beef is because they haven't yet accepted your
> >case that it causes fewer deaths. It's your job to provide the
> >evidence.

> Here we see plowing:
> http://tinyurl.com/8fmxe
>
> and here harrowing:
> http://tinyurl.com/zqr2v
>
> both of which kill animals by crushing, mutilation, suffocation,
> and exposing them to predators. We can see that planting
> kills in similar ways:
> http://tinyurl.com/k6sku
>
> and death from herbicides and pesticides needs to be
> kept in mind:
> http://tinyurl.com/ew2j5
>
> Harvesting kills of course by crushing and mutilation, and
> it also removes the surviving animals' food, and it exposes
> them to predators:
> http://tinyurl.com/otp5l
>
> In the case of rice there's additional killing as well caused
> by flooding:
> http://tinyurl.com/qhqx3
>
> and later by draining and destroying the environment which
> developed as the result of the flooding:
> http://tinyurl.com/rc9m3
>
> Cattle eating grass rarely if ever cause anywhere near
> as much suffering and death. ·
> http://tinyurl.com/q7whm
>
> >There is no dishonesty involved.

> There usually is too much of it.

So you say, but I see no reason to think so.