Peter Aitken

Default Ceramic (glass) cooktops--Which pots can be used?

"Lew" > wrote in message
om...
> We are considering installing a GE electric ceramic cooktop range, but
> some of the useage instructions have us worried. Our favorite pots are
> enameled cast iron European pots (Creuset) that work very well on our
> old electric coil elements stove. We also have some cast iron pots
> that are not enameled on the bottom but are reasonable smooth.
>
> The instructions say not to use either of these. The ones without
> enamel bottoms could scratch, and even the enameled ones could heat up
> too much and trip the heat-control mechanism in the cooktop.
>
> Does anyone have experience with this situation, or advice on whether
> these pots can be used safely?
>
> I'd hate to have to buy all new pots!

I have a Dacor smoothtop and have successfully used cast iron and le Creuset
for years. I have some scratches but so what? It's a stove, not a museum
piece. If the heat control mechanism is tripped, again - so what? It just
cycles the element off briefly to keep it from being damaged. The only
problems I have had is with pots whose bottoms are way off flat. You do not
need perfectly flat bottoms on your pots, but if it is too far off it does
not work well.

GE may be different, although I doubt it.

--
Peter Aitken