Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chatty Cathy Chatty Cathy is offline

Default Pumpkins in Africa

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 19:00:57 -0600, Jack Schmidling >
> wrote:
>> The book series "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" (Botswana)make frequent
>> references to pumpkins as some sort of "food of the gods". Little kids
>> go bonkers when they learn there is pumpkin for dinner.
>>
>> What on earth sort of "pumpkin" could they be talking about?

> I have decided that people "on the other side of the pond" call every
> squash "pumpkin", but mostly they are talking about butternut squash.

You might be right, sf. Butternut squash is very popular here in SA (and
Botswana is one of our immediate neighbors). I also like gem squash too.
I seldom see what I refer to as "Halloween" pumpkin here - the stuff
they label as "pumpkin" in our supermarkets does not have that
distinctive "orange" skin.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy