Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_5_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_5_] is offline

Default Pumpkins in Africa

In article >,
Jack Schmidling > wrote:

> The book series "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" (Botswana)make frequent
> references to pumpkins as some sort of "food of the gods". Little kids
> go bonkers when they learn there is pumpkin for dinner.
>
> What on earth sort of "pumpkin" could they be talking about?
>
> I have made reasonable efforts to eat pumpkin but other than pie and
> soup, it leaves me cold compared to sever squashes which I really love.
> I find what we call pumpkin barely palatable.
>
> On the other hand, the books are probably the best I have run into since
> Dickens. I have only heard them on tape and the narrator really is
> half of what makes them wonderful.
>
> js

Could be baby pumpkin. :-)
If you harvest some of the small ones, they are delicious steamed.

Like a tatuma almost, but milder.

We used to do it all the time when we accidently grew pumpkins from the
compost heap. <lol>

Mom introduced me to them.
--
Peace!