Charlie Bress

Default Ceramic (glass) cooktops--Which pots can be used?

"Lew" > wrote in message
om...
> We are considering installing a GE electric ceramic cooktop range, but
> some of the useage instructions have us worried. Our favorite pots are
> enameled cast iron European pots (Creuset) that work very well on our
> old electric coil elements stove. We also have some cast iron pots
> that are not enameled on the bottom but are reasonable smooth.
>
> The instructions say not to use either of these. The ones without
> enamel bottoms could scratch, and even the enameled ones could heat up
> too much and trip the heat-control mechanism in the cooktop.
>
> Does anyone have experience with this situation, or advice on whether
> these pots can be used safely?
>
> I'd hate to have to buy all new pots!
>
> TIA.

When we moved to a new house and installed a GE ceramic top range we ran
into exactly the same problem.
I had looked around for someplace that could glaze the old pots, but was
unsuccesful

Our daughter was the beneficiary of the cast iron bottom Creuset pots and we
replaced those with the equivalent styles with an enameled bottom. These
have been in use for 5 plus years and there are no problems. The Creuset web
site says not to slide either style on the top. Easier said than done-some
of those pots are pretty heavy especially when filled and you are trying to
reach a back burner. The major problem is avoiding scratching the cooktop. A
scratch will set up a stress point that may crack the top and those tops are
not cheap.

I would think that the smaller lighter pots that you can put down on the
surface without sliding would be OK. The biggest feature of a pot on a
ceramic top is that the bottom is flat. I think that any of the Creuset pots
would meet that requirement.

Charlie