Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default "collateral included deaths in organic rice production [faq]"

On 2 Sep 2006 11:47:30 -0700, "pearl" > wrote:

><dh@.> wrote in message
.. .

>> >I have not said that there are "no cds in rice production", as you imply.
>> >
>> >"Regrettably, there probably are some small animal deaths. However,
>> >the number of deaths in a mile of rice harvesting pales in comparison to
>> >the road kill on a mile of highway.

>> That's an obvious lie, and anyone who's aware that animals don't
>> live on asphalt should be able to understand why.

>Where's the obvious lie? Animals traverse highways, and numerous
>vehicles are constantly speeding along them.., but animals can easily
>move out of the way of slow machinery making one pass in the field.

Even if somehow, incredibly, no animals were killed by harvesters:

http://tinyurl.com/gcpzk

the environment they had depended on for shelter from predators is
removed and predators kill them because they have nowhere left
to hide.

"a good, reasonable, annualised (but still conservative)
number of amphibian and anole deaths through the combine is 35,000 of
all species harvested per acre, combined average for two cuttings. in
spite of these seemingly large numbers, far, far more frogs & lizards
escape than are combined. i would guess that the 35,000 amphibian
deaths represents less than 20% of the total population, and probably
far less, but that is just a guess - plenty, plenty, plenty are not killed." - diderot

"one can tell the difference after harvest, also. on the organic field,
as the combine passes, the wall of birdlife: hawks of several varieties,
crows, kites, buzzards, egrets, herons, ... descends to glean both
escapees and paté. on the 1340, there are still quite a number of
birds, but nowhere near the solid covering of the organic side." - diderot

>> >Harvesters move slowly,

>> So did the bush hog I got to run a few times. But there were a lot
>> of grass hoppers bouncing around on it and getting killed by it the
>> whole time anyway. If they had been frogs and anoles etc like in
>> rice fields it would have been them in that position instead, but
>> rice harvesters would provide less chance of survival because of
>> the difference in design. I'm sure you won't be able to see why
>> or how, but I believe most omnivorous people could:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/goeyk
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/gkpmo
>> http://tinyurl.com/pk3ut
>>
>> >and they are
>> >not the high speed machines described in this article." - Kent Lundberg

>> He told you what he knows very well that you want to believe,

>You can go see for yourself. diderot told you what you want to
>believe.

Why would I "want to believe" that so many animals are killed in
rice production. There's reason why I would not want as you so
obviously don't want to, but why would I?

>> >That is from someone *known* to be a GENUINE organic rice farmer.
>> >
>> >As I said, you are a liar, and you OBVIOUSLY want to promote the lie.

>> "Florida" wrote:
>>
>> "Interesting that there are no collateral included deaths in
>> commercial rice production."
>>
>> YOU, who bitch and carry on claiming diderot was wrong, said
>> nothing at all to correct that absurd, dishonest idea. That means
>> YOU want people to believe it.

>I was focussing on letting Florida know that I'm not Kent Lundberg.
>I assumed that Florida had read the email, and just worded it wrong.

You don't mind people believing there are no cds involved with
rice production, but you object to them understanding that there
are a lot of them.

>"Regrettably, there probably are some small animal deaths. However,
>the number of deaths in a mile of rice harvesting pales in comparison
>the road kill on a mile of highway. Harvesters move slowly, and they
>are
>not the high speed machines described in this article." - Kent Lundberg

"- rodents and insectivores get hammered pretty much year-round,
with all the dirt work, cultivation and harvesting activities and, for rice
specifically, the near-continuious cycle of flooding and drying the
fields. i have seen responsible estimates of rodent/insectivore
population of 9-35 square meter, and i think the 35/meter is probably
more accurate (in this area, anyhow) judging from the 500 yard-long,
foot-wide windrows of drowned grey and brown on the lee-side levee
whenever the rice is flooded." - diderot