Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit Karen AKA Kajikit is offline

Default Making Candy Bars, question about caramel.

On 1 Sep 2006 07:09:00 -0700, "Larry Bud" >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article > ,
>> Reg > wrote:

>> > Adding the water before the sugar cooks (turns color)
>> > will simply extend the cooking process as the water
>> > cooks off. You'll end up with cooked sugar with no
>> > liquid left in it.

>> I understand, Reg. I interpreted the OP's post that he was melting
>> commercially-made caramel candies; e.g., Kraft. I didn't think he was
>> making caramel from scratch.

>You were correct, I am melting Kraft caramel, not making it from
>scratch.

I wouldn't know how to make caramel either! (or rather, I know the
theory but steer clear of anything involving boiling sugar/oil and
potential 3rd degree burns...)

I'd assume that when you melt the caramels some of the liquid in them
evaporates, so you need to add it back in to make it come out right.
People suggest cream, and that sounds good to me...