Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kthonian Kthonian is offline

Default "Ox roast" recipe?

One time on Usenet, said:

> Back in the Dark Ages when I was a kid in Pennsylvania (near Altoona)
> the local fire hall would raise money periodically by serving "ox
> roast" sandwiches. I'm not exactly sure how the meat was prepared; it
> may have been roasted or braised, then run through a food grinder. I
> think some broth was added as it was usually very moist. Does anyone
> out there have a good recipe for ox-roast?

Are you looking for the recipe to roast the ox, or to make the
sandwiches? In any case, first I googled "ox roast" and got the
following info, which addresses your "how the meat was prepared"
question:

http://www.kutztownfestival.com/about/oxroast.shtml

But I didn't see anything about the sandwiches there. So I googled
"ox roast sandwiches" and it seems they are a fundraising favorite
not only in PA, but Ohio too, which might explain why I couldn't
find a recipe. :-(

Then I tried RecipeSource.com and allrecipes.com and I did find
this one:

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/xRst.asp

Ox Roast - Submitted by: Jon
"A terrific deli-style roast beef that is chilled first for better
slicing. This recipe makes a really good Ox Roast sandwich."

HTH!

> (Normally served on white hamburger bun with pickle relish as the
> condiment of choice.)

I'm sorry, but this sandwich sounds about as appetizing as scrapple
to me. Although half of my heritage is PA Dutch, I have to say, I
don't much for the food. Well, maybe the funnel cakes... ;-)

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~