Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default "collateral included deaths in organic rice production [faq]"

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:15:56 +0100, "pearl" > wrote:

><dh@.> wrote in message ...

>> >"There is an "article" circulating on the Internet that describes how
>> >thousands of frogs and other animals are killed in the mechanized
>> >harvesting of grain crops. This "collateral animal deaths" story is an
>> >elaborate hoax. The author, a "Texas organic rice farmer" is a gifted
>> >writer, but he should use his talents elsewhere.
>> >
>> >The author's numbers describe a plague of frogs of biblical
>> >proportions. However, it is questionable if he has even been on a rice
>> >farm. The major point that our author has missed is that rice fields
>> >are harvested dry. The irrigation water is drained, and the ground is
>> >left to dry before the harvesters go out in the field (otherwise, they'd
>> >sink in the mud). There just aren't that many amphibians in the field.

>> Those who can't survive the dried environment would already
>> be dead,

>Why would any amphibians that might be in the fields stick around
>as the fields dry, and not go with or follow the water when drained?

I feel confident the main reason is also a reason why humans
get caught in floods: Because they don't know what's happening.
Also frogs who are on land and tree frogs who are on rice stalks
when the water goes out, obviously can't go with it. Even you
should have been able to figure that one out. Then there are
the creatures who are in deep parts of the water when the
draining occurs, so they are trapped in puddles and pools
afterward. And there're no doubt some who move along with the
water when it begins to recede even though they have no clue
what's going on, but get stopped by rocks, sticks, rice stalks,
mounds of mud etc so they don't go all the way with it. Those
are SOME of the reasons, and undoubtedly there are more.

>> yes, but diderot led me to believe that most of them were
>> tree frogs who could survive in the stalks until the harverster came
>> along.

>Where did all these frogs come from, after supposedly being
>slaughtered year in, year out?

diderot was nice enough to exchange some emails with me,
and that was a question I asked him about. He said the water
they use to flood the fields comes from rivers and/or creeks
which have frogs etc living in them already. So they come from
upstream.

>> If diderot exagerated, it was to make people aware of the
>> deaths caused by rice production.

>diderot told wholesale porkies in order to try to blur the line
>between deaths in crop production and in the livestock industry.

diderot told people about cds that you "aras" obviously
could not care less about, and in fact do NOT want people
to be aware of. Disgusting!!!