Posted to alt.food.wine
Ben Snyder[_1_] Ben Snyder[_1_] is offline

Default Introduction

Salil wrote:
> Ben Snyder wrote:
>> Forgot about Alsace Riesling. Very good, only had about two so far but
>> love 'em.

> Welcome to the newsgroup. And I'm also very fond of Riesling. Only
> tried a few from Alsace and Germany, I'm more familiar/fond of the
> Australian and New Zealand versions of it (particularly those from
> Marlborough & Waipara).

I'll definitely try them out.

> Like Gewurz as well, but not had enough in the past of my own good.
> Perhaps because usually when I go for whites, it's either Riesling or
> Sauvignon blanc.
>
>> Reds, she absolutely hates, even Beaujolais Nouveau. Too strong in flavor.

> I'd be interested in seeing the sorts of reds you/she have tasted. Any
> Aussie ones there? There are a lot of Aussie reds out there that are
> 'easy drinking' wines, not too strong in flavour but with a good palate
> and character - and many are very reasonably priced too.

I've had a few Australian shiraz, latest was a Jacob's Creek. Wife
wouldn't touch it - I can't think of a red lighter than Beaujolais
Nouveau.

A few days ago she tried a sip of a Fleurie. There was a lot more in
the nose than in flavor, though I enjoyed it. Very straightforward, not
complex, but unique. Nose of orchid and iris. She tried it, and could
tolerate it but did not enjoy it.

Methinks I'll be exploring more white wines so she can maybe find
something she enjoys.

-ben