Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Derek[_2_] Derek[_2_] is offline

Default Vagan question, getting started.

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:29:30 -0400, dh@. wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 21:15:26 +0100, Derek > wrote:

>>> I can, but I said I don't this time...yet.

>>You never will,

> LOL!!!
>_________________________________________________ ________
>Grass (Forage) Fed Claim Comments and Responses
>
> By the close of the comment period for the December 30, 2002
>notice, AMS received 369 comments concerning the grass (forage) fed
>claim from consumers, academia, trade and professional associations,
>national organic associations, consumer advocacy associations, meat
>product industries, and livestock producers. Only three comments
>received were in general support of the standard as originally
>proposed. Summaries of issues raised by commenters and AMS's responses
>follow.
>
>Grass (Forage) Definition and Percentage
>
> Comment: AMS received numerous comments suggesting the percentage
>of grass and forage in the standard be greater than the 80 percent
>originally proposed. Most comments suggested the standard be 100
>percent grass or forage. Other comments recommended various levels of
>90, 95, 98 and 99 percent grass and forage as the primary energy
>source.
>. . .
>AMS determined the most appropriate way to integrate the
>grass (forage) fed claim into practical management systems and still
>maximize or keep the purest intent of grass and/or forage based diets
>was by changing the standard requirements to read that grass and/or
>forage shall be 99 percent or higher of the energy source for the
>lifetime of the animal.
>. . .
>http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0509.txt
>¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Those are the comments and criticisms put forward, but,
as we can see by your material above, those suggestions
aren't being implemented. So-called grass-fed beef carries
a “USDA Process Verified” shield next to the label “grass
fed” if as little as 80 % of the feed were grass, and those
grain-fed animals accrue collateral deaths. So-called grass-
fed beef isn't a viable alternative, so stop pretending it is
while trying to push meat onto vegans. Apart from the
grains they are fed while being finished at the feedlot, so-
called grass-fed beef accrues collateral deaths when
slaughtered in mechanised abattoirs, while being stored in
refrigerated buildings, when being transported to customers.
To keep insisting that so-called grass-fed beef has no
association with collateral deaths is a desperate lie which
no one believes, so give it up.