Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Nick[_3_] Nick[_3_] is offline

Default Extended Instructions for Making Wines from Kits

Hi,

I've made over a half a dozen wine kits over the last few years and I
recently decided to see if I can improve on my successes by following
the instructions in the archives of Jack Keller's blogs dated 12/18/03:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblog2.asp

I'm making a Barolo and a Valpolicella from kits by Vineco.

I follow instructions explicitly from day 1 until today. I haven't
changed anything yet, but I'm wondering if I should.

The kits were started on 8/14. When vigorous fermentation subsided on
day 7, I added back the gallon in reserve. Fermentation continued, by
has now stopped on day 11. I check SG and both are around .994. Here's
my question:

I am used to racking and topping off when fermentation ceases. Should I
forget the norm and let them sit until day 28 as instructed, or should I
rack and top off with similar wine? I'm mainly concerned because my 6
gallon carboy leaves way too much room below the neck.

One other quick question...On day 30 is says to rack into a 5 gallon
carboy. Shouldn't this be a 6 gallon as in the start on day 1?

Regards,
Nick