Posted to rec.food.historic
Jean B. Jean B. is offline

Default can sizes

This is an expanded version of a post I made to
rec.food.cooking on May 15, 2006. The information in the
original post emanated from an undated old booklet from the
American Can Company. I am now adding can sizes found in the
same company’s “A Word About Tin Cans” (also undated). Again,
my intent is to preserve this information for those who may
need it when using old recipes (or receipts <g>). Note that
although they were called “tin cans”, the cans were actually
made of steel. Also note that there are a few discrepancies,
so read this carefully and use your judgment....

Common Can Sizes:

No. 1/4 Flat Can: 4 3/4 oz, ca 1/2 cup; used for meat spreads.

No. 1/2 Flat Can: 7 3/4 oz to 8 1/2 oz, ca 1 cup; used mainly
for salmon.

No. 1 Tall Can: 12 to 16 oz, ca 2 cups; used for salmon,
fruit cocktail and fruits.

No. 2 Can: 1 lb 2 oz to 1 lb 8 oz, ca 2 1/2 cups; used mainly
for vegetables, fruits and juices.

No. 2 1/2 Can: 1 lb 10 oz to 2 lbs 3 oz, ca 3 1/2 cups; used
primarily for fruits, but spinach, tomatoes, sauerkraut, beets
and pumpkin are also packed in it.

No. 3: 1 lb 15 oz to 2 lb 4 oz, 4 cups; by the time “A Word
About Tin Cans” came out, commercial packers had pretty much
stopped using this size.

No. 3 Cylinder: same as No. 5 Can (the 6-cup one).

No. 3 Squat: 1 lb 2 oz, 2 3/4 cups; used for vacuum-packed
foods, including beets, corn, carrots, and sweet potatoes.

No. 5 Can: 3 lbs, 9 oz (47 to 48 oz), ca 6 cups; used for juices.

No. 5 (note that this differs from above--beware!): 3 lb 6 oz
to 4 lb 5 oz, 7 1/3 cups; by the time “A Word About Tin Cans”
came out, this size was used almost exclusively by home canners.

No. 8 Z Short: 7 oz to 9 1/4 oz, 1 cup; used for fruits,
vegetables, soups, fish.

No. 8 Z Tall: 7 3/4 to 10 1/4 oz; 1 cup; used for the same
items as 8 Z Short.

No. 10 Can: 6 to 8 lbs, ca 13 cups; used for vegetables and
fruits. Commonly called institutional or restaurant size and
not ordinarily available in stores.

No. 300: 13 oz to 1 lb 2 oz, 1 3/4 cups; mainly used for
specialties like pork and beans, tomato juice, and spaghetti

Picnic No. 1 East: 9 1/2 to 13 oz, 1 1/4 cups; used mainly in
cities for fruits and vegetables. Also used for soups.

12 oz: 12 oz, 1 2/3 cups; mainly used for tomato juice and
oysters.
__
Jean B.