Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,rec.food.sourdough
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default The Artisan - Recipe Upload - 8/17/2006

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message ...
>
>> (Foams) have a real, if limited, place in culinaria, as foie gras,
>> caviar, balut, Velveeta, durian and Miracle Whip do.

> I suppose that having a "place in culinaria" can be taken to
> imply that they are edible.

<LOL> At least.

> I have always been partial to Miracle
> Whip -- I wonder if you (Bob) can help me understand how it
> is made? Can do mayonnaise, but not Miracle Whip. Balut
> and durian do not seem very interesting, particularly balut.

Miracle Whip is a factory product that you can't exactly
duplicate at home. It's an evolution of "salad dressing" and
there are lots of recipes out there for it.
<http://www.recipezaar.com/41781>

And balut is not interesting. Really not interesting.

> One thing I have always liked is a fried baloney sandwich on
> sourdough bread, with Miracle Whip and kimchee.

Not a combination I've ever had. I don't especially like
Miracle Whip. I find the sweetness offputting. When I was a
kid, one of our neighbors used to make us Miracle Whip
sandwiches on Wonder bread. We thought they were terrific.

I grew up with homemade bologna (actually it was my
grandfather's homemade version of mortadella) that was never
fried that way. Until I got to college and my roommate
introduced me to its delights. Bologna, lettuce, mayo on a
New York kaiser roll at 3 in the morning in anticipation of
a monster hangover in a few hours.

Perfect.

Pastorio