Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,rec.food.sourdough
aem aem is offline

Default The Artisan - Recipe Upload - 8/17/2006

Boron Elgar wrote:
> [snip preceding]
> Except that Vegetable Carpaccio is not unknown in Italy, nor is it any
> sort of food joke.
>
> The web page below gives a recipe for Carpaccio Vegetale.

> http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sp...carpaccio.html
>
> Vegetable Carpaccio
> Carpaccio Vegetale

[snip article and recipe]

> And here is a restaurant in Italy that has it on its menu:
>
> http://www.aeolia.com/menu/1991/06menu.htm
>
> Boron

Oh, he probably already knows that he's fighting a rearguard action
against a change in languages [English and Italian] that is well under
way. We've all seen many examples of specific names morphing into
descriptives for semi-related things. It's quite like the way brand
names and trademarks become generic words, notwithstanding the efforts
of trademark lawyers. I've made similar objections a number of times
here in rfc, usually saying something like, "That sounds like an
interesting recipe, but don't call it ___[some misappropriated
name]_____ , make up a new name for it."

He's only recently been revisiting rfc anyway, and probably didn't
really feel at home until he tried to pick a fight. -aem