Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito Mr Libido Incognito is offline

Default help on escarole replacement.

Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 21 Aug 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Jan wrote on 21 Aug 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > I make a similiar soup using swiss chard, it works very well. I am
> > sure spinach would do also. Jan
> >

> Thanks but on further examination I'm not going with that
> recipe...well I'm changing it a lot ...adding carrot, onion,
> celery,fennel, some crushed red pepper, pepercorns, bay leaf or 3 and
> increading the sausage, garlic and stock amounts... so I figure the
> spinach is ok since the flavour will be totally different anyways.

This is what I settled for. Indented stuff are my additions so
effectively the original recipe has totally changed.

Al's BEAN AND SAUSAGE SOUP

2 tablespoons olive oil used canola oil
1 pound kielbasa sausage, diced more like 1.5 lbs
4 large garlic cloves, chopped more like 7 cloves
1 fennel chopped
1 onion chopped
3 carrots chopped
1 celery heart with leaves chopped
1 smallish bag baby spinach leaves, washed
4 14 1/2-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth more like approx 2.5 quarts
1 15 ounce can navy beans
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with herbs
1 16 oz cnt of sour cream

Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and
garlic and sauté until sausage is lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add
in veggies except spinach stir about 5 minutes more. Add broth and navy
beans with their juices , diced tomatoes and spinach. Simmer until
flavors blend and soup thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Add sour
cream here and just let simmer 5 more minutes...serve.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan