Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito Mr Libido Incognito is offline

Default help on escarole replacement.

Never having, even seen escarole AFAIK...I was wondering if I could
substitute for it with fresh spinach leaves in the recipe below?

ESCAROLE, BEAN AND SAUSAGE SOUP

Here's a hearty main-course soup perfect for a simple winter dinner. The
chopped escarole fills a large bowl but wilts considerably when cooked.

2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound kielbasa sausage, diced
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 large head escarole, coarsely chopped
3 14 1/2-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans)
Grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and
garlic and sauté until sausage is lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add
escarole and toss until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add broth and cannellini
with their juices. Simmer until flavors blend and soup thickens slightly,
about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into
bowls. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Serves 6.

Bon Appétit
March 1996
Dawn Murray: Allenwood, New Jersey

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan