Posted to alt.food.wine
Ed Rasimus Ed Rasimus is offline

Default TN: This week's wines

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:17:33 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Here's a summary of various bottles consumed with dinners this week:
>
>2005 Drylands Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc ($15)
>
>Quite nice with a paella dinner

Not even a Paella Valenciana, heavy with shellfish, would call for
SB--your Spanish credentials are in jeopardy!

>2004 Dom de la Terres Dorées (J-P Brun) Fleurie ($15)
>A beautiful wine, and even better with the paella (which was a bit
>meat-heavy) than the SB.

Better choice. Light reds like a cru Beaujolais (or even B-Villages)
always work, particularly in the summer when chilled. Sangria, of
course, is always workable.

>2005 Banfi "Rosa Regale" Brachetto D'Acqui
>n: simple, confected cherry, little Muscat character
>p: cloying, soft, sweet
>
>A gift from an appreciative former student to Jean. Bleechh!

I hope the paella was long gone from the table by this time!

>1999 Dom. de la Tourade Vacqueyras
>n: meat, black cherries, tar
>p: acidic entry, slightly tannic, black cherries beneath a gamey, meaty
>flavor, short finish
>
>Opened as a backup to the Brachetto, this wine was nice, if a bit
>fruit-shy. It went very well with BBQ pork ribs, though.

Now we're talking!! Vacqueyras would stand up to the BBQ pork (dry or
wet style??) Certainly not the Brachetto.

>Mark Lipton

At least there was a lot of variety.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)